Claims News

Trial of Man for Sexual Assault of Four Girls at Creche Begins

Posted on: February 25th, 2020

A 29-year-old male is currently on trial after being accused of the sexual assault of four girls at the creché where he was working. Claims have been made that the man in question, from February 2015 to December 2016, sexually assault the group of girls on up to 23 occasions. The man pleaded not guilty in relation to the allegations that have been made by young girls who were aged between five and eight-years-old when the attacks occurred. The allegations include ten counts of sexual assault in relation to the first girl, eight in relation to the second girl, three in relation to the third and two in relation to the fourth. The offences are all alleged to have occurred in different places at the crèche and on a bus owned by the crèche. In order to safeguard the identities of the children involved, the man’s name and details of the location of the crèche cannot be made public. Prosecuting Counsel Orla Crowe said the man was first hired to cook in the kitchen of the crèche during 2013. However, a short time following this he began was given duties supervising after-school children. His tasks included taking children to school in the early mornings and picking them up after school ended for the day. He also supervised the older after-school children during the afternoons. Ms Crowe said the man had been accused of committing sexual misconduct on 12 December 2016. This happened after one of the young girls told another child about the incident and that child then informed a staff member about it. The child’s parents and the Gardaí were made aware of the situation and an official investigation. As part of the trial the children will be available for cross-examination by the defence via video link, and videos of previously-conducted interviews, carried out by specialist garda interviewers, were filmed during January 2017. These interviews will be shown to the court during the trial. The children’s parents and the specialist garda interviewers will also take the stand during the trial. The court was advised that the owner of the crèche where the man was working was aware that the man had no official qualification in child care when assumed the role but had begun his official training. He had completed a one-day child safeguarding workshop and was attempting to get the appropriate FETAC level 5 qualification that was legally required. Speaking about the man’s suitability for the position the proprietor said that she felt it would be good to have a male authoritative figure in the crèche and he was trying to become properly qualified, albeit this was taking a considerable amount of time. The woman went on to say that, as the law had been amended, anyone working in a crèche after 31 December 2016 had to have a FETAC level 5 qualification. The Man had been aware that he would not be able to continue in his role after this date as he was not qualified. On 12 December 2016 she was in the creche office when a staff member advised her that one of the after school children had told a separate child that she had kissed the man in his private area and then giggled. As, she informed the court, she was unsure what course of action to follow as she was wary that it could be a case of children being fanciful and talking about such things. She contacted the parents of the children affected. The next day a father of one of the girls advised her that he was going to get in touch with the gardaí in relation to the issue. Following this she contacted the man and advised his that he was suspended from his position as there was a serious allegation against him. The Gardaí then attended the crèche that afternoon with a warrant and retrieved footage from the CCTV system. Next Monday the trial continues.



This is an Information site only – if you feel you have a potential claim, you should discuss your situation with a solicitor registered with the Law Society of Ireland.